Questions and Answers
We allow 2 dogs in the following (unless indicated otherwise in brackets)
1 bed apartment – Perran
2 bed apartment – Sea Air
2 bed cottages – Anchor Down (2 small/1 large), Brigg End View, Family Tides, Murphy’s Rest, Sea Esta, Sea Urchins, Seaside Cottage, Wren Cottage
2 bed beach houses – Blue Anchor Retreat, Blue Bay, Blue Moon, Mariners (2 small/1 large), Salty Dog (1 large, 2 medium, 3 small), Sea Urchins, Skylark (3 dogs allowed)
3 bed cottages – Anchors Away, Caramel Cottage, Meadow View (1 dog max)
3 bed beach houses/lodges – Luna Azul, Prospect, Seahorse
4 bed cottages – 12 Green Close, Silversands House (subject to discussion first)
We charge extra per dog – from £20 to £40 depending on which property, but can sometimes discount if you are bringing 2 or 3 dogs.
This extra fee is related to extra cleaning time required after dogs have stayed based on the size of the living areas in each property. We know that many dog owners are extremely responsible and remove all traces of dogs, but we do often find a lot of dog hairs on the floor and in soft furnishings which take extra time to treat.
However, we do waive the dog fee for repeat bookers as you have shown that you take care of our properties.
We do not allow puppies under 6 months of age, unless you wish to make a request to be allowed – we would need to know their age, progress with puppy training, and whether they are crate-trained. We may request a larger damage deposit just incase.
We allow all breeds (except those on the banned list in the UK), but if you have a large breed, please do consider the size of the dog and the size of the property, as some properties do not offer a lot of floor space for larger dogs!
If your dog likes to sleep in the room with you, or needs a secure/enclosed garden, or if you want a place with no restrictions on number of dogs and where they can go, then our properties are probably not for you.
If you have a reactive dog (reactive to people and dogs walking past), then Wren Cottage, Sea Esta, Sea Air, Perran Apartment, Blue Anchor Retreat are probably the better options for you due to their location.
We ask that dogs are kept out of bedrooms and off furniture. We will charge for damage to bedding, furniture etc due to dogs.
We ask that you bring everything you need for your dogs (beds/crates/stair gates/bowls/leads/poo bags, towels, throws, shampoo etc!).
Whilst we do provide bowls, poo bags, leads, doggy treats, dog toys, long lines/spikes, hose pipes, stairgates etc in some properties, these are not routinely provided. And any throws provided are strictly for humans only, so please do not use for your dogs. We can share information for your particular property though if it helps you with your packing!
We ask that dogs are not left alone, as this may be very stressful for them, and they may cause damage or noise.
However, we understand there may be short times (up to an hour or two) when it would be helpful/safer to leave them in the property, so please do contact us to discuss before your stay. If they will be crated, and are settled, this is best of course.
Since our insurance does not cover damage by pets, we may need to increase the damage deposit we charge, or have your written agreement that you will cover the cost of damage if we agree to your dog being left alone/unsupervised.
We do not allow cats, house rabbits, or birds. We may consider a hamster or other small pet if they are caged the whole time.
The price includes use of the onsite pool, sauna, steam room and gym (subject to availability).
The outside table tennis table, boules courts and playground are all free to use too. You can hire table tennis equipment from the leisure desk for a refundable £10 deposit.
We provide one set of linens and towels for each guest on the booking form. If you require extra, e.g. for a longer stay, we can arrange that for an additional fee. Note: For Perran Apartment, towels and linens are an optional extra for a small additional price.
We provide unlimited Wi-Fi (where installed), and all utilities (gas, electricity, water) are included too.
Other welcome goods (toiletries, tea/coffee, coffee pods) vary by property, which will be explained in your booking information.
Click on the calendar for any property to view rates.
Most breaks start Monday or Friday, and there are often discounts for 7 night or longer stays.
Rates for each property are also shown at the end of each individual property page.
Many of our properties are in a common price category as they are the same type of property:
- Anchor Down, Family Tides, Murphy’s Rest, Sea Esta, Seaside Cottage, Wait n Sea, Wren Cottage – these are all 2 bedroom cottages offering good value for a family of 4-6.
- Blue Anchor Retreat, Bluebelle, Mariners, Oreo Shack, Salty Dog, Sea Urchins Beach House – these are all 2 bedroom Nikki beach houses, the smallest type of beach house. They all have 2 shower ensuites, and a log burner. These sleep 4 or 5.
- Blue Bay, Blue Moon, Skylark, Brigg End View, Sandy Shores, Sea Urchins Cottage – these are all luxury 2 bed properties with a parking bay for 2 cars, log burners, a shower ensuite to one bedroom and a bath ensuite to the other. These sleep 4, 5 or 6.
- Anchors Away, Caramel Cottage – these are 3 bedroom cottages with a family bathroom, an ensuite and a downstairs toilet, and both have south-facing gardens and parking outside. These sleep 6 or 7.
- Luna Azul, Seahorse Lodge, Prospect Lodge – these are all 3 bed Kontiki beach houses/lodges. Each bedroom has its own ensuite (2 shower ensuites and 1 bath/shower over), and they have a parking bay for 2 cars, log burner and large decks.
- Sailaway Cottage and Silversands House – these are 4 bedroom detached Dartmouth properties with balconies and sea views. Parking bay outside.
- As well as the above, we have the following properties
Perran (1 bed ground floor apartment), Sea Air (2 bed 2 bath first floor apartment), 12 Green Close (4 bed 2.5 bath house).
The deposit varies by property, but is generally 10-20% of the rental amount.
When you find a property you wish to book, the payment amounts and dates for payments will be shown once you start the booking process.
The balance payment is usually due 8-12 weeks before your holiday, so if you are looking a late break, you will need to pay the full amount, often the same day, to confirm your booking.
We also ask for a security deposit which is refunded following your stay. This is incase of any damages, although we do not charge for minor breakages.
We accept online card payments and bank transfers, although for last minute bookings, we will insist on card payments.
Some properties have instant bookings set up which will ask for card payments to confirm the booking, but don’t worry if you don’t want to pay by card – your request will be logged by the booking system, and I will contact you to take a bank transfer payment instead.
This is our security in case of major damage at the property. In the vast majority of cases, this is refunded in full within 2 weeks of your stay. We hope you appreciate we are trusting you with our properties and possessions, and this is quite standard practice with many holiday cottage rentals.
This varies by property, and is explained in your booking terms and conditions. For most properties, it is 4pm arrival, and 10am departure. This is to allow our cleaners enough time to turnaround each house, and also arrange maintenance where required. Some have a slightly earlier or later time as shown on the page for each property.
You are also welcome to use any onsite amenities throughout arrival and departure days – just park in any of the communal parking bays (but not in the property bay as our cleaners need to use these).
Towels are provided, for use in the property only – please bring your own for the pool and beach.
All properties have at least one hairdryer, iron & board, travel cot, high chair, washing machine (or washer-dryer), and a dishwasher (except Sea Air).
For other facilities, check the listing for the property or send us an enquiry.
There is a new shop in the courtyard area at The Bay – open 8am – 6pm (seasonal hours may apply in low season) and is perfect for toiletries, groceries (fresh, chilled and frozen), alcohol and soft drinks, ice creams, newpapers/magazines, beach items, souvenirs and much more.
The nearest shop off site is the Jet garage which has a Spar, just down the road near Primrose Valley.
There is a Co-op supermarket and takeaways in Hunmanby (1 mile) and a larger Tesco and other shops in Filey (3 miles).
You can also book a Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda or Morrisons delivery to the Bay.
The Bay is a purpose-built “village” specifically designed for holidays. There are nearly 500 apartments, beach houses, lodges and cottages all with free parking, set on the cliff tops to the south of Filey, next door to Primrose Valley. Whilst not in Filey town itself, it is easily walkable along the beach or coastal path.
The Bay is unlike the caravan parks in the area, and is open all year round. The properties are all modern with full central heating, and excellent insulation making them ideal for winter breaks as well as summer.
Many of our guests love to come in the quieter winter months, and curl up in front of the log burner (selected properties only) after a bracing walk on the beach! And the prices are cheaper then too.
The pub, pool, sauna, steam room and gym usually open every day, even Christmas Day.
The shop is new in 2021 but we hope it will continue to open all year round as it’s a great addition to the resort!
The Bay has lots to offer to families, couples and friends wanting to spend time together. On resort you will find:
- Indoor 20 metre pool (for leisure and lane swimming), sauna, steam room and gym. These are currently open 8am-7pm with pre-booking in place for the pool. Free to all our guests!
- The John Paul Jones pub – open for inside and outside dining and click and collect.
- The Bayside Kitchen cafe – sit in or takeaway. Tables can be reserved for Afternoon Tea (book at least 24 hours in advance).
- Amusement arcade.
- The Beauty Room (call 07981282534).
- A small grocery store (in the courtyard) – open 8am – 6pm (shorter hours in low season). It sells food, toiletries, beach items, newspapers/magazines, alcohol and more!
- Playground, boules courts, football pitch, outside table tennis table. All currently free of charge to guests.
- Wildflower meadows and lakes – perfect for walking the dog, having a picnic or just enjoying a nature walk – orchids, butterflies, newts, a resident barn owl and more can be spotted!
- Entertainment programme – pub quizzes, and other events organised by the resort team.
- Activity programme including football, tennis, tye dye, build-a-bear, crafts, go-carts, archery, rifle-shooting – booking required and charges apply to all guests at The Bay. Age restrictions apply, but there’s something for all age groups from under 4s through to 12+ and adults.
Please note: we do not offer refunds if you find any of the above are not open during your stay, as we are not responsible for these amenities/businesses.
On site, there is the John Paul Jones Public House, and the Bayside Kitchen coffee shop.
From the beach, turn right and you will also find the Beach Café at Hunmanby Gap (seasonal opening hours). In Filey, you will find plenty of cafes and bars, many dog-friendly too, and some pubs in nearby Hunmanby like the Piebald Inn.
It is a 5 minute drive, or a 30-45 min walk along the beach or cliffs into Filey. Please visit our “local area” page for information on local tourist attractions within a few miles drive or further afield.
We aim to be as flexible as we can at this time.
A full refund will be given for a cancellation for one of the following reasons:
1. Cancellation by us (for any reason), for example if a property is sold, or if emergency repairs are needed.
2. Where the property is under Government restrictions which force us to close.
3. Where your home address is under local/regional restrictions which prevent you from travelling to us.
For all other reasons, a partial refund will be given when the holidaymaker cancels (e.g. illness including covid-19, work commitments, accident, transport issues, jury service, redundancy, self-isolation due to covid-19 close contact):
|1 or 2 bedroom properties|
|More than 12 weeks before||10%|
|8-12 weeks before||20%|
|5-8 weeks before||50%|
|3-5 weeks before||70%|
|1-3 weeks before||85%|
|1 week or less||100%|
|3 or 4 bedroom properties|
|More than 12 weeks before||10%|
|8-12 weeks before||50%|
|4-8 weeks before||75%|
|1-4 weeks before||90%|
|1 week or less||100%|
I will also use reasonable endeavours to get a replacement booking, and if successful, I will be able to refund more. For example if your booking was for £500, and you cancelled 5 days before, and I get a replacement booking for £450, I will then return £400 after I have deducted a £50 admin fee for my readvertising time and costs.
To ensure you don’t lose your money if you cancel, I strongly recommend that you insure yourselves against covid-19 and any other reasons you may need to cancel or curtail your holiday with us. There are now a number of insurance providers offering covid cover if you are ill or are asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
We want to make sure that your holiday with Filey Bay Direct will be as relaxing and worry-free as possible. We follow the sector’s advice on cleaning practices, and leave hand sanitiser/soaps, disinfectant/wipes for you to use too.
We use 4 different local cleaning companies and professional laundry services too. All products used meet the standards required.
If you wish to stay in a few properties with friends and/or family, we have the following options:
- Brigg End View, Sandy Shores and Sea Urchins Cottage – all are next-door neighbours on Turnberry Drive – sleep up to 13 altogether (max 12 adults). Silversands House opposite also sleeps up to 10 (max 8 adults).
- Anchor Down and Wait n Sea – next-door neighbours on Seaford Avenue – sleep up to 10 altogether (max 8 adults). Wren Cottage (sleeps 5) and Family Tides (sleeps 5-6) are also nearby.
- Mariners and Oreo Shack beach houses – next-door but one on Turnberry Drive – sleep up to 9 altogether (max 8 adults).
- Seahorse Lodge and Prospect Lodge – next-door but one on the new Meadows Development – both sleep up to 6, so can accommodate 12 altogether. Anchors Away Cottage is also nearby.
- Sea Esta Cottage and Perran Apartment next door neighbours on Perran Court – sleep 9 altogether (max 6 adults).
- Caramel Cottage and Sea Air Apartment are both on Woodspring Way – sleep 10 altogether. 12 Green Close is also nearby.
- Blue Moon, Luna Azul, Skylark, Sea Urchins, Blue Bay, Bluebelle, Salty Dog and Blue Anchor Retreat beach house – all on Blue Anchor Road.